Monday, March 30, 2009

Martha Moment: Maple-Roasted Chicken with Sweet Potatoes

Ever have one of those moments in time where your domestic effort comes together so beautifully and perfectly you feel like Martha Stewart? Last night's dinner made me feel like Martha. I present to you:
Maple Roasted Sweet Potatoes over Brown Rice with Green Beans with Almonds
I've been yearning for this chicken dish since I saw in in the Feb '09 issue of Real Simple. I made it in the crock pot, however, instead of roasted it in the oven for 1 hour and 40 minutes.
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
1 onion cut into 1-inch wedges
6 sprigs fresh thyme (I used dried)
2 tablespoons of olive oil
salt & pepper
1 3½-4 lb chicken cut into 8 pieces (I used only 3 large breasts)
3 tablespoons maple syrup
After browning the chicken briefly, I placed it in the crockpot. In a medium bowl, I tossed the sweet potatoes and onions with the salt, pepper, thyme and olive oil then dumped them on top. Drizzle the maple syrup over all, cover and cook til done.
About 25 minutes before serving, I made the brown rice and served the chicken and potatoes on top of it. The green beans were frozen, sauteed with olive oil til crisp tender with a little basil and a bag of sliced almonds left over from a Wendy's salad--fake green bean almondine on the quick. Delicious, filling, and leftover lunches for three and cost approx. $7.50 for everything.
I still feel so very Martha ......

Followers