Saturday, April 27, 2013

Brodace Jacket Finished!

It's amazing! But yes, it really is finished already,  Even with as slow as I sew! And all those seam finishes, too.  New Look 6920 on Zelda:
The sleeves were supposed to be 3/4 sleeves on the pattern but once I got those cuffs on they turned out to be full length. I actually prefer them this way.  
the back view
A view of all the finish work.  All the seams were treated with a Hong Kong finish, including hem and sleeves.  It looks so neat and tidy inside.
A close up of the finish work on the shoulder seam, collar.
 The pattern itself was well-constructed and the instructions with very concise.  There were no duh moments; just followed the directions and all went well.  The lower front bands are cut on the bias, as is the collar, but unlike the collar, they are not interfaced.  I did have a little trouble with them trying to twist out of shape.  But careful pinning,sewing and gentle pressing kept all in alignment. All in all I'm very pleased with how this project turned out. It was a big step up for me in several ways and quite the learning experience but not an unpleasant one.  I've mastered Hong Kong finishing and learned to the rudiments to handling brocade.  This is only the second jacket I've made so I still feel like there's a lot more to learn about their construction before I feel accomplished in this.                                                                    
As a P.S., I have to say that I was watching and being greatly inspired by the Great British Sewing Bee that  the whole sewing community is abuzz with while sewing this.  The show is so charming, the people so lovely you feel as if you know them. You can't help but watch and get up and go sew.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts---